The contracts toolkit
What it can and can't do
The Contract builder is a tool to help artists negotiate an agreement. Direct sales, sale or return, exhibition and residency agreements are covered.
The contracts toolkit can:
- help you prepare a proposed agreement to send to someone you are dealing with such as a buyer or gallery
- help you to react to an agreement which has been prepared by someone else
- provide a detailed checklist of issues to be discussed and mutually agreed as part of the negotiation process
- suggest appropriate phrases and specific clauses that can be incorporated within an agreement or letter
- provide information on the definition of certain legal terms particular to contracts
- provide general guidance on the importance and purpose of specific terms and clauses commonly found within contracts.
The contracts toolkit does not:
- Replace the need for careful and considered preparation and negotiation of an agreement specific to a given situation
- replace the need for a solicitor or other expert to check that all the provisions for a given situation have been considered
- protect the user from breach of contract by the other party
- act as a substitute for taking legal or other expert advice relevant for your particular situation.